Thursday, 12 June 2014

Transformed!!

(Warning: This post is heavily laden with photos, so you might want to join me with that cuppa coffee!!!)

I have got this yarn addiction, and I would not like to be cured of it.
Came across this while browsing. This is definitely meeee !!! Hahaha. :-D





I remember, before I relocated to Toronto, I'd shopped these beautiful colourful balls of size 20 crochet from a local yarn store. I'd almost bought everything the shop had. 






When it comes to wool or acrylic yarn Vardhman brand in India is my favourite. We get them in various colours. I was storing up yarn as if I were moving to the North pole ;-) Hunger for yarn is insatiable, guess every crocheter/knitter agrees.

I finally used three colours from my stash and made this colourful rose doily. The flowers weren't looking as attractive initially as they looked after I assembled all the pieces together.


I'd made a mistake while making the centre white part and still had a space left after attaching all the 10 flowers :-( Too bad...
Instead of unraveling and correcting the mistake , I detached the flowers and made only the white part again. I will use the other one for something else maybe.


Attaching leaves in progress.


The texture of the leaves gives it a very natural look.


The centre part was made with white cotton thread I bought at a local yarn store in Belgaum. It came in hanks unlike the red rose crochet cotton.

Here comes the boring weaving in.
Doesn't it already look gorgeous??


With all the pieces attached and ends weaved in, my doily is ready to be blocked.
Of course, the blocking pins also had to be colourful. :-)






All done!!!! 


After blocking, the flowers and leaves look just perfect now.


Link to the pattern is here.

I couldn't help but click plenty of pictures. 





Crochet never ceases to amaze me. Mere balls of thread transformed into this wonderfulness. One can always buy, but being able to make it, is a precious gift my mum gave me. Truly grateful to her for having taught me crochet.Well, I don't have an equivalent return gift, but nevertheless this is for you "Amma" :-)

Till I post again!!
Ranjitha

22 comments:

  1. A beautiful crocheted centre piece. Great photos and they really show the value of blocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Blocking is so important. :-)
      Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Oooo - I love that doily. It's beautiful, and I'm sure your Mum will absolutely love it. Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi!! She loved it just after seeing the pics. I plan to send it to her soon. :-)

      Delete
  3. what a beautiful doily! i keep scrolling back and forth all the pics as i can't seem take my eyes off it.. amazing photography too.. you've captured the pics so well :) I'm sure your mom will love it! have a great day! cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anitha! I did get a lot of compliments for photography this time. :-)
      Hope you are doing great!

      Delete
  4. The doily looks beautiful, u block the doily?. How do yo It is in my to do list and some weeks back I have purchased Anchor crochet size20 of red, green and yellow to do this. I am also like. Never satisfied with the balls of yarn in my stash. Planning for another purchase from pony craft store along with knitting loom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make a post soon about my blocking process. Stay tuned. :-)
      Pony craft store is such a blessing for us Indians! :-) Otherwise online shopping wasn't possible at all before.

      Delete
  5. Oh this is super pretty.... I love the colours!! I agree I love colours and I think I am a very greedy yarn shopper lol...

    Have a great weekend! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! No crocheter can have enough yarn :-)
      Thank you Ruth!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is the most beautiful doily I've seen and I LOVE the colors of the yarn! You did such a great job. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Your doily looks amazingly beautiful !!:) sweet colors :) I love doilies....may be because they come very easy to me but not many are there where the colors can be changed especially the pineapples one.
    And size 20 gives perfect crispness and delicateness to the doilies.
    What a huge stock you have got !! Are those vardhman threads? I never found Vardhaman crochet threads in hyderabad .
    I was away from blogland for more than a month. We shifted to new home ....everyone falling sick one after another because of hot weather ....I am the last one down with mild fever since yesterday....so the 'house arranging' activity is slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are red rose. I buy Vardhman woollen yarn. I have seen your pineapple doilies. they are beautiful! I want to make one too with the white thread I have.
      Hope everybody in your family is feeling better now. Take rest and take your time in arranging the house.
      Take care!!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful! Lovely colour combo and neat work too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful Ranjitha! I LOVE this doily and I LOVE all the threads you bought!!!
    Well done and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful crochet work! I love the colors. I have not ever tried to crochet doilies before - yours is really pretty. I know what you mean about yarn. I say I am not going to buy more for a while and then I find something I need for a new project and there I am buying more again. I was using up some for a while from my stash but I have recently discovered I love the Knit Picks chroma fingering yarn and ordered some more just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberlee!! You should definitely try doilies. Yarn addiction? Tell me about it... :-D

      Delete
  11. congrats on being featured at the party at oombawka design! The doily is just beautiful and gorgeous! Have a nice day.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Thank you so much for this comment. It's only because of your comment I realised I've been featured :-)
      So thank you again! :-)

      Delete